Here is a step-by-step list of proactive measures that a small UK business can take to protect against cybersecurity threats:
- Assess your vulnerabilities: Identify your cybersecurity attack surface by making a list of all your devices, networks, software, and websites, and assessing their vulnerabilities. Consider potential risks such as employee mistakes or malicious activity, vendor vulnerabilities, and external threats such as phishing attacks.
- Implement security measures: Install and configure security measures such as firewalls, antivirus software, and secure passwords to protect your systems and data from cyber threats.
- Educate your employees: Educate your employees on cybersecurity best practices, including the importance of strong passwords, the dangers of phishing attacks, and the importance of reporting suspicious activity.
- Manage supplier relationships: Carefully manage supplier relationships and ensure that all suppliers who have access to your systems and data have appropriate security measures in place.
- Regularly update and patch your software: Keep all your software and devices up to date with the latest security patches and updates to reduce vulnerabilities.
- Create a response plan: Develop a plan for responding to a cyber attack, including steps for isolating affected systems, notifying IT professionals or cybersecurity providers, and restoring systems from a backup if necessary.